When it comes to grooming their pets, pet owners go crazy with all kinds of garments and care. That list should not include coloring a dog with human hair dye.
Violet, a dog who had been colored purple by her previous owner, was in bad shape when Pinellas County Animal Services arrived to save her. “Violet’s eyes were swelled shut, she was limp and listless, and she had significant burns on her skin,” the team said.
Violet was treated with fluids and pain medication, and she was thoroughly bathed to remove the colour from her fur. Violet’s coat was peeling off during the shave under anaesthetic, as if this wasn’t terrible enough. Because of the chemicals in the dye, her skin was burned. They didn’t think she’d make it through the night.
“Chemicals in hair dye are TOXIC, inflicting a wide array of outward injury to your pet–possible burns, blindness, and poisoning or internal burns because an animal’s initial inclination is to lick,” the researchers suggested. Other organizations, such as PETA, are opposed to pet death since it might result in injuries and allergic reactions.
Violet, thankfully, survived and her wounds healed after three months of care. She now has a new home and a new owner in whom she can put her trust.